The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC), Volume I, exempts the following types of work/construction from acquiring a permit. (USBC, 109.0)
1. Installation of wiring and equipment, which operates at less than 50 volts, except when the installation is located in a noncombustible plenum or penetrates a fire-resistance rated assembly.
2. Detached accessory structures not exceeding 256 square feet of building area, except when accessory to Use Group F or H structures. (Note: Compliance with zoning requirements in Alleghany County still applies.)
3. Tents and air-supported structures that cover an area of 900 square feet or less, including all connecting areas or spaces with a common means of egress or entrance and with an occupancy load of 50 or less persons.
4. Work which the code official has authorized pending receipt of an application.
5. Ordinary repairs which include, but are not limited to the following:
a. Replacement of mechanical or plumbing equipment and appliances, except those fueled by gas or oil, within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Use Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Use Group R-3 and R-4.
b. Replacement of roof coverings and installation or replacement of siding on Use Group R-4 structures.
c. Installation of cabinets in all occupancies.
d. Replacement of floor coverings and porch flooring within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Use Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Use Group R-3 and R-4.
e. Painting any portion of a structure, repair of plaster, interior tile, and other wall coverings in all occupancies.
f. Replacement of windows, doors, electrical switches, outlets, lighting fixtures, and ceiling fans within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Use Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Use Groups R-3 and R-4.
Ordinary Repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure effecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas or oil, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electrical wiring, mechanical, or other work affecting public health or general safety.