The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC), Volume I, requires that the following minimum inspections be conducted when applicable to the construction or permit:
1. Inspection of footing excavations and reinforcement material for concrete footings prior to the placement of concrete.
2. Inspection of foundation systems during phases of construction necessary to assure compliance with the USBC.
3. Inspection of preparatory work prior to the placement of concrete.
4. Inspection of structural members and fasteners prior to concealment.
5. Inspection of electrical, mechanical and plumbing materials, equipment, and systems prior to concealment.
6. Inspection of energy conservation material prior to concealment.
7. Final Inspection. Upon completion of the structure and before issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy (CO), a final inspection shall be made to ensure that any defective work or discrepancies have been corrected and all work conforms to the USBC. (114. 4 and 114.10)
Certificate of Occupancy: Once work for which a permit is issued is completed, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) shall be issued prior to the occupancy of a structure. (118.0)